Thursday, September 2, 2010

Good Intentions

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.


James chapter 2
  What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds?  Can such faith save him?(vs. 14) ...faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. (vs. 17)  You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. (vs. 22)  

James 4:17 
Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.

Faith is something that has basically always come easy for me.  For me, it's easy to look at a beautiful sunset, or the smiles of my family  or basically anything around me and have no doubt that there is a loving God who created it all.  I try to "walk the walk"  and not just "talk the talk,"  but it is very easy for me to make excuses of things that I should be doing but don't.  I always had a really good example of doing things for others.  My dad was always helping old ladies at church who needed help fixing things, or taking a couple of brothers whose dad wasn't in the picture flying or to go play Putt Putt, etc.  My dad has always been good at that stuff.  I try, but like I said, too often make excuses of why I don't.  There is an older man a couple houses down from us whose wife passed away at the beginning of summer.  I met the man once or twice, but really didn't know either of them.  I meant to go down when I heard and take a meal or do something for him.  I really intended to.  But with the craziness of the summer, sick kids, and the rest of the excuses I could easily come up with, I didn't.  Then a few weeks ago I was talking to the neighbors across the street and they said that this man had been having a really rough time since his wife passed.  I commented about how I had been meaning to take a meal to him, and how I tend to have good intentions but bad follow-thru.  As the words came out of my mouth, I thought how pathetic that was, and how I don't want to be that way.  The good intentions part is fine, but I just don't want to have good thoughts.  I want to do good works.  I want to help others, reach out to them, show them love and kindness.  That night Alia and I took a meal down to him.  His daughter was there, and thanked us for bringing it for him.  When I asked how he was doing, he immediatedly teared up.  His daughter commented how it had been really hard on him.  We talked a little, then this past week, we decided to make some cookies to take down to him.  Again, when I asked how he was doing, he immediately teared up, and said "We were together all the time.  We were married 53 years."  We talked for a while, and he told us about how he fought in Korea, and how most of his family was gone.  I really believe the time was as much a blessing to me (if not more) as it was to him. I would hate to know how many times I have sinned simply because I neglected to do something good for someone else...not that I ever meant them harm, but simply because I didn't do good.  I hope I can set as good as an example for our kids as my dad did for me.  I don't want my faith to be dead.  I want my faith and actions to work together. 

3 comments:

  1. Very, very neat story, Sarah and I'm sure that you felt so much better knowing that you had "followed-thru" with this gentleman. I'm sure that he really appreciates your visits and it gives him a sense of relief knowing that he AND his wife have not been forgotten.

    I know by helping my folks with the things I have been doing for them, that when one day they are gone I will know I did all I could for them and have no guilt. They won't be here forever, none of us will...but, just knowing that I am easing their way helps me, as much as it helps them. I decided long ago that I had made up my mind that I would be there for them, if they wanted me to. Just as Tim and I had helped his parents in their latter years. I'm not one bit sorry that I have been in a position to help Mom and Dad. Not working outside the home has made that much easier. I am, and God willing, always will be in that same position to do what I can for them. It's not always the "easiest" or the thing I would choose first at the end of a long day...but, by doing so I have a feeling of completeness that gives me a sense of well-being. And, for that I am most grateful...I have heard so many people say, "You will miss them, when they are gone." It makes me tear-up, even now just typing that sentence. Life for them has not always been easy...but life without them won't be easy for us. So, I guess that whatever good I can do now, while they ARE still here, is what I have made my mind up to do. I know that God looks down on this and can find some good in my love for them...and hopefully I will get the opportunity to do these things for them for many, many more years to come.

    Again, I agree with what one of your FB friends mentioned. I admire you for you honesty, your realness and your convictions. What you have done for this older gentleman he WILL remember for the rest of his life. You already have made a huge difference in his...I'm sure that he, too, has made a difference in yours, as well!!

    Enjoying your blogging...keep up the great work, Sarah!! :)

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I had posted a comment, Sarah. A very heartfelt message. But, wouldn't ya know when I attempted to post it, a message came up that said it was too large. Then *POOF* it vanished. It's no where in sight?! So, hmmmmm?! I don't know what's up with that. But, I enjoyed your blog today and just wanted to at least let you know that, with this message. Hopefully, this one won't be too long, aha!!

    Have a great holiday weekend!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, well!! Bizarre!? There it IS, up above my last post! Weird. Anyway, glad that it ended up posting it...now I feel better. Thought I was starting to lose my mind!!

    So sorry for taking up so much space...eeeeeeekkk! I'm done now! ;)

    Cya!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete